multiply! 150 million x 20 = 3000 million or 3,000,000,000
2. A trillion is expressed as 1012, and 100 is 102. So 100 trillion is 1014.
3. Set up this proportion:
Earth Actual = Earth Scale
Jupiter Actual Jupiter Scale
12,800 km = 4 cm
143,000 km x
x = 44.7 cm (a beach ball)
4. The method here is similar to #3 - use a proportion!
SS Actual = SS Scale
MW Actual MW Scale
1 ly = 1 cm
100,000 ly x
x = 100,000 cm = 1000 meters (a domed stadium)
1. a. Continuous Spectrum - a rainbow of all the colors with no gaps.
b. Emission spectrum - bright lines separated by blackness
c. Absorption spectrum - a continuous spectrum with black lines superimposed on top.
2. Every time an electron jumps to a higher energy level it absorbs energy. When it falls back down, it emits a specific wavelength of energy (a photon). This is seen as a line in an emission spectrum.
3. The conversion between Celsius and Kelvin is K = C + 273. So –25 °C is 248 °K.
4. Wien's Law tells us that the wavelength is 2,900,000/ 248° = 11,694 nm or 11.7 micrometers, which is in the infrared.
5. Again you use Wien's Law: T = 2,900,000/wavelength = 2,900,000 / 425 = 6824 °K.
This star is a little brighter and hotter than the Sun.
6. A blue shift means it is moving toward us, and the red shift means movement away from
us. This indicates a rotation of this galaxy, counterclockwise from our perspective.
Return to the Practice Questions section.